cummingsj16

cummingsj16

Bud, Not Buddy - Christopher Paul Curtis

Bud, Not Buddy was written by Christopher Paul Curtis and is the story of a little boy trying to find his place in a world where he does not know his own father. His mother died when he was younger, but he never knew his father at all. Bud grew up in the foster care system, bouncing from one foster home to the next. To Bud, it seemed as though no one would ever want him. However, this little boy has got some wits about him to be so young. He is sent to a new foster family that ends up locking him in their shed for the night. Bud’s imagination gets the best of him when he thinks there might be vampires in there, and he ends up swinging a bat at a hornet’s nest. He finds a way to bust out of the shed, torn up by multiple hornet stings, and runs away to go on his own adventure. It is quite dangerous for Bud to be striking out on his own, but he sets off on a journey to find his father. This book’s Lexile reading level is 950L, and it is recommended for students in higher grades such as fourth or fifth. One of the things that Bud constantly talks about throughout the novel is his “Rules and Things for a Funner Life”. I would want my students to brainstorm some ideas and create a list for this. However, instead of doing “Rules and Things for a Funner Life”, we could do “Rules and Things for a Funner [Classroom]”. I would read this book at the beginning of the school year with my students and we could create our classroom rules for the year based on these lists.