cummingsj16

cummingsj16

The Diary of a Young Girl - B.M. Mooyaart, Eleanor Roosevelt, Anne Frank

Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl was written during the period of World War II. Anne Frank was a thirteen-year-old Jewish girl whose family fled their home to hide from the Nazis who were occupying nearby territories. Her family lived in an attic for years hiding from the Gestapo who would seize them if they were to be found. Eventually, their whereabouts were betrayed, but Anne’s diary was found in that attic where it has become a world classic in history. The book’s Lexile reading level is 1080L. This would definitely be a book read no earlier than about fifth grade. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book when I was growing up. It opened my eyes to the horrors of our world’s history, and it showed me so much more than a school textbook ever could. In my classroom, I would use this book to discuss historical events that occurred during World War II. Students would be assigned this book to read, and I would want them to complete a research project on this particular time period. Students could write an essay, create a Prezi presentation, or draw a picture book to explain events that occurred. They could complete this from different perspectives, such as that of an American soldier, a German soldier, or maybe a Jewish child or adult. I would really want my students to dive into the historical information from this time period so they could connect with the history that took place.